Here are some nature notes from around York County, Maine:
- the rare Little Egret continues in Biddeford Pool
- juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in the marsh along Harbor Road, Wells, and at least one more continuing at Great Pond, Biddeford Pool
- 7 Piping Plovers and 1 Baird's Sandpiper at the Basket Island Causeway, Hills Beach, Biddeford
- 4 Piping Plovers, 25 Laughing Gulls, and 24 Least Terns (including 6+ fluffy juveniles) at Goose Rocks Beach, Kennebunkport
- 500+ Swallows (presumably mostly Tree Swallows) over Stage Island, K'port
- 3 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Little Blue Heron (juvenile), 2 Green Herons, 14 Bank Swallows, and 3 Bobolink at the Sanford Lagoons
- 35 Northern Gannets observed from Great Hill Rd., Kennebunk
- Canada Hawkweed (Hieracium kalmii), Japanese Knotweed (Fallopia japonica), Giant Knotweed (Fallopia sachalinensis), and Tall Rattlesnake-root (Nabalus altissimus) flowering
- Black Cherry, Choke Cherry, Common Blackberry, and Black Elderberry have ripe fruit
To view the following images in full-size, click here.
My work as a naturalist is supported by readers like you. To pledge a monthly contribution of $1 or more, please visit Patreon. Thanks!