Here are some nature notes from around York County, Maine:
- High counts and rarities at the Basket Island Causeway, Hills Beach, Biddeford included: ~200 Black-bellied Plovers, 7 Piping Plovers, 1 Marbled Godwit (Lifer!), 10+ Red Knots, 1 Dunlin (rare in August), 1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper (FOY), 1 Pectoral Sandpiper (FOY), 1 Western Sandpiper (FOY), 1 "Western" Willet, and 3 Caspian Terns (FOY)
- 7 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Northern Shoveler, 1 Merlin, 3 Marsh Wrens, and 24 Bobolinks at the Sanford Lagoons
- 4 Piping Plovers, 8 Least Terns (5 juveniles, 3 adults), 1 Merlin, and 350+ Tree Swallows at south end of Goose Rocks Beach, Kennebunkport
- Eastern Whip-poor-will singing just before sunrise on Guinea Rd., K'port
- Fall-dandelion (Scorzoneroides autumnalis), Flax-leaved Stiff-aster (Ionactis linariifolius), and Downy Goldenrod (Solidago puberula) flowering
- I gathered fruits of Black Cherry, Black Chokeberry, Black Huckleberry, and Dwarf Huckleberry
To view the following images in full-size, click here.
My work as a naturalist is supported by readers like you. To pledge a monthly contribution of $1 or more, please visit Patreon. Thanks!