Here are some nature notes from around York County, Maine:
- 22 Green-winged Teal, 4 American Oystercatchers, 1 American Golden-Plover, 1 Red Knot, 1 Stilt Sandpiper (FOY), 2 Dunlin, and 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls at the Basket Island Causeway, Hills Beach, Biddeford
- 1 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron along Sky Harbor Dr., Biddeford
- Coastal Jointed Knotweed (Polygonum articulatum), Bladder Campion (Silene vulgaris), and New England American-aster flowering
- I gathered the fruits of Withe-rod, Fox Grape, Black Elderberry, and Beach Plum
Highlights from Maine Audubon's annual fall pelagic trip (leaving from Bar Harbor and venturing into Canadian waters):
- 2 Northern Fulmars (Lifer!), 1 Cory's Shearwater, 300+ Great Shearwaters, 2+ Sooty Shearwaters, 80+ Wilson's Storm-Petrels, 80+ Leach's Storm-Petrels (Lifer!), 40+ Red Phalaropes (Lifer!), 7+ Great Skuas (Lifer!), 14 Pomarine Jaegers, and 5 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (except for a pair of Great Skuas, all of my Life Birds were observed in Canadian waters)
- Marine mammals included Fin, Minke, and Humpback Whales (some people observed the blow of a Right Whale), and pods of Atlantic White-sided Dolphins and Harbor Porpoises
To view the following images in full-size, click here.
My work as a naturalist is supported by readers like you. To pledge a monthly contribution of $1 or more, please visit Patreon. Thanks!