Here are some nature notes from around York County, Maine:
- 24 Brant, 2 Red-throated Loon, 4 American Oystercatcher, ~150 Black-bellied Plover, 1 American Golden-Plover, 3 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Marbled Godwit, 36 Ruddy Turnstone, 2 Red Knots, 75+ Sanderlings, 200+ Dunlin, 1 Purple Sandpiper, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, and a small flock of Snow Bunting at the Basket Island Causeway, Hills Beach, Biddeford
- 1 Black-throated Green Warbler along the Saco RiverWalk, Saco
- 1 Spotted Sandpiper and 1 Palm Warbler along Ocean Ave., Biddeford Pool
- Long overdue rain combined with gusty winds removed leaves from many deciduous trees; Pitch Pines also dropped many bundles of yellow needles (see top photo)
Highlights from a ferry ride (Rockland to Matinicus Island and back):
- ~50 Northern Gannets, 1 Razorbill, 1 Black-legged Kittiwake, and a small pod of Harbor Porpoises during outbound trip
- 1 White-eyed Vireo seen during brief stop-over on Matinicus Island
- 1 Bonaparte's Gull, 12+ Laughing Gulls, a Song Sparrow (who circled the boat for a while before landing), and a small pod of Harbor Porpoises on the return trip
To view the following images in full-size, click here.
My work as a naturalist is supported by readers like you. To pledge a monthly contribution of $1 or more, please visit Patreon. Thanks!