Here are some nature notes from around York County, Maine:
- 5 Black-bellied Plover, 1 Marbled Godwit, 1 Ruddy Turnstone, 1 Red Knot, and 11 Dunlin roosting on the Camp Ellis jetty, viewed from Hills Beach, Biddeford
- 6 species of gulls including 1 Iceland Gull and 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull at rocky south end of Fortunes Rocks Beach, Biddeford
- 2 Black-bellied Plovers, 27 Horned Larks, and 9 Snow Buntings at Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport
- 17 Sanderlings, 7 Dunlin, and 50 Purple Sandpipers at Wells Beach
- 1 Pacific Loon (FOY; found by Derek Lovitch of Freeport Wild Bird Supply) off East Point Sanctuary, Biddeford Pool
- 1 Spotted Sandpiper continuing along Ocean Ave., Biddeford Pool
- 1 American Coot at Lords Pond, Fortunes Rocks Rd., Biddeford
Highlights from travels elsewhere in Maine included:
- 12+ Pine Grosbeaks (FOY) on Ward Hill Rd. in Unity
- 4 Pine Grosbeaks along Rt. 7 in Jackson
- 1 continuing Bullock's Oriole in downtown Camden
- 1 female Black-throated Blue Warbler visiting a backyard feeder in Portland
- 2 King Eiders (a 1st-winter male and an unknown age female) on the Fore River in Portland, near the Portland Fish Pier
To view the following images in full-size, click here.
My work as a naturalist is supported by readers like you. To pledge a monthly contribution of $1 or more, please visit Patreon. Thanks!