The month of December has for me become a time of reflection and a time of planning for the year to come. I brainstorm practices and/or goals to enliven my days and enrich my months (or moons). Here's a selection of my nature-based plans for 2016:
Daily (or most days)...
- Take an early morning walk
- Eat wild food, with emphasis on non-fruits like leaves, shoots, buds, flowers, and roots
- Observe birds, plants and mushrooms at local patches
- Conduct an Emmons Preserve bird census
- Eat shellfish
- Visit the Saco Heath and the Sanford Lagoons
- Walk a local beach, preferably barefoot
- Track down a few Life Birds
- Photograph some of the 17 bird species who I've seen but not yet photographed
- Complete at least 3 Moon Challenges (themes to be determined)
- Go camping and visit friends in western and central Maine
- Hike a mountain in Maine
- Work with individuals or small groups looking to deepen their awareness of the natural world (see my Custom Workshops page if you're interested)
How about you? Have you committed to a nature practice for 2016? Please share in the comments below.